Friday, June 4, 2010

Friday Pretties! Week 2!

I have so much anxiety over Friday Pretties!  I want it to be, well, you  know...pretty! Thank you again to Joyce at I Love Pretty Little Things for hosting this fun friday blog party!

So there I was sitting at my laptop, hoping it would just come to me...in a vision...when my adorable 9 year old son says to me "Mom, when can you make chocolate chip cookies again?"

PING!!  I promised him that we would make some this weekend, thanked him for my vision and in return he gave me a strange look...vision???

So here it is, I would like to introduce to you, Ruth Wakefield.


Ruthie was the inventor of the Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie.  Ruth was a dietitian professionally in the mid to late 1920's.  In the early 30's, Ruth and her husband purchased a tourist lodge, better known in those days as a Toll House.  (Similar to a Bed & Breakfast of today.)  They called their lodge the Toll House Inn.

Ruth, being the cook & baker for the Inn accidentally stumbled upon her now famous Chocolate Chip cookies having run out of bakers chocolate for a completely different recipe. She opted to crumble up a Nestle chocolate bar that was gifted to her by the Nestle Chocolate company.  What a hit!  The FIRST EVER chocolate chip cookie was born! In fact, her cookies became so popular, that her recipe "Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies" was published in all of  the Boston newspapers.

Impressed by the marked increase in sales for chocolate bars as a result of the published cookie recipe, Andrew Nestle, knew he must repay the favour, and so a deal was made.  Nestle agreed to print Ruth's Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe on the back of it's new "Chocolate Chips"  package and she in turn, would be supplied with a lifetime supply of chips for her baking!

So go ahead, put on your best apron...make sure it's pretty!


and grab your recipe!


With little fabric squares, ribbon & a mason jar, just layer the dry ingredients inside and attach the recipe for a pretty  little gift!


Pretty them up with ribbon, just the way they are!




Put them out when the gals come for tea!


Or keep them for yourself! Go ahead & indulge! Bliss!


Nothing beats homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies!  Happy Friday Pretties!

7 amazing people said...:

I Love Pretty Little Things said...

PRETTY, PRETTY, PRETTY!!!
You shouldn't have been nervous!

I had no idea that is how Toll House Cookies came about! My Absolute Favorite! Especially hot out of the oven and a little raw in the middle...Mmmmmmm, Mmmmmmm Good!
I love your mason jar idea, and the picture of the recipe brings back many cookie baking memories for me.

Thanks for joining our little party today.
Come back again next week. :)
Joyce

myletterstoemily said...

well done! it doesn't get any prettier
than that!!!

what a great idea for a gift.

Rosie said...

Oh dear girl,
you certainly got the hang of this "pretty business". What a great post, I bet your whole house smell FAAABULOUS...
Off to Van...love ya...Rosie

Becky said...

oh I would like some :) My fave as you know ;) So pretty!

Gloria said...

I have a severe weakness for homemade chocolate chip cookies (tollhouse)! It is so good to be reminded of "my love" in your very "pretty" display of them! :)
So sweet!! Now I need to go bake a batch! :)

Poppies and Sunshine said...

So pretty! Oh how I want some cookies now! Thanks for sharing a little history too. Have a great weekend!

Silver Strands said...

Oh MY Rocketgirl! You've put my Friday Pretties to shame! So glad Joyce's blog brought me to yours ... very very nice!
oxoxox
Denalee

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com