Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Depression Glass

What do YOU know about Depression Glass?

Here's what I know...During the time of the Great Depression, companies such as Quaker Oats and Anchor Hocking, used to try to entice you to buy their products by offering a piece of glass for free...usually part of a larger collection or set. Some stores or movie theaters offered you pieces as well for frequenting their establishments. Just a nice easy way to attract consumers during a financially unstable time...

Quite the collectible item this Depression Glass. Although I am getting good at recognizing some of the more familiar patters, I would like a Collectors Guide to Depression Glass...so fascinating!


Right now I am really into the darker green glass and I really hope that my next find is a green Juice Reamer.

ps. have you seen the Vaseline Green? It's frighteningly space age for the 1930's! Yikes!

6 amazing people said...:

KobysCache said...

The collectors guide that I use is by Gene Florence, Collector's Encyclopedia of Depression Glass. I took a few out of the library first to see which was best. Gene Florence's books are easy to use.

Happy Collecting!

koralee said...

I agree...dark green glass is my favourite too but lately it has been all about turquois anything with me...so turquois glass is my passion. Have a great day. xoxo

Rosie said...

Yes, sweet one, depression glass is so whimsical...my mother is a huge collector of these little treasures...I used to have a few books on the subject...I think they're at the shop. I'll see if I can find them...enjoy your 4 glorious days off...xoxo...Rosie

michelle b @ every little thing inspired said...

oooh, i love depression glass!! thanks for the history on it..had no idea...!

thanks for the follow...
local gal! following you back...! xoxo

michelle b @ every little thing inspired said...

oops, i guess i was already following you...i forgot!
need to go to bed...NOW.

xoxo

Gloria said...

I have a dresser set of vaseline glass...two bottles with lids, and a little tray. My husband bought it for me for a Christmas gift one year. I posted it for Color Week on my blog (for the color yellow) a few months back?? can't remember exactly. It has kind of a lemondrop color. When you put it under a black light it glows...suppose to be how you know it is genuine I think.
A piece from History for sure!

Good luck on finding your juicer! :) I have seen quite a few still available out there.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com