Friday, July 16, 2010

EXCITING NEWS!!!

No, no baby...simmer down there peeps! (isn't that what most people assume?)

Rocketgirl, that's me...is now a proud nominated and ELECTED member of the Board of Directors for the Shanti Uganda Society! I am PUMPED!

I will give you a brief run-down of the Shanti Uganda Society and you can also click the link to see their website & work, they also have a Facebook page for all you social networkers....

Shanti Uganda is a non-profit, charitable organization started here in Vancouver by a friend named Natalie.  Shanti is a Sanskrit word meaning peace, rest, calm...Shanti Uganda aims to improve the physical, emotional & spiritual well being of communities impacted by poverty, HIV/AIDS and war in Uganda.

Last year, Shanti officially received charity status here in Canada and has already done some amazing things in the district of Luwego, near Kampala in Uganda.  The highlights of Shanti so far, at least to me, are the Income Generating groups that Natalie started.  She trained the women to make handmade beaded jewelry, (see my lovely list post from two days ago to view...), trained them to make bags of all kinds on donated (awesome vintage!) sewing machines...the society then purchases these items from the women and brings them back to Canada to sell, and these women, most of them who are widowed, HIV positive and have no means of supporting their many children, are now enjoying food, "luxuries", medical care, ample savings accounts and the knowing that they can now support their families.

This past winter and spring saw the building of the Shanti Uganda birth house, a place where women can safely birth their babies.  The donations that flooded in, and the volunteers that constructed the birthing house...amazing.  A place where finally women don't have to travel miles and miles on a bicycle to deliver.  There is finally clean, running water, medical supplies at arms length, and Shanti Uganda is training local midwives to safely & naturally aid in the prenatal & postpartum care of women & babes, reducing infant mortality rates & all while keeping with traditional Ugandan therapies and practices.

Why Uganda you ask? Why not!  There's plenty of Rocketgirl love to go around.  Watch out Abbotsford & watch out Uganda! I have my first board meeting this coming week! Shreeeeeeek! My position is that of Treasurer.  I have lots to learn!  I do have more news...no, it's still not a baby...but I will keep you all posted...all in due time! ;)

5 amazing people said...:

Rosie said...

WOW!!!!!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS...you will be an amazing board member...you have a heart for this cause and will surely make a difference...I know you are taking Doula classes...maybe you'll go to Uganda someday and teach theses ladies firsthand...You, my dear are the girl for the job...well done...love Rosie

Becky said...

OOOOHHHHHH CONGRATS! So proud! I knew you would! ;) They are blessed to have you onboard! Do they like cupcakes? heeeheee!

I Love Pretty Little Things said...

WOW! Congratulations! What an amazing cause! Think of the generations that will be effected by this organization and your dedicated hearts. Amazing!
Joyce

A Nurse's Curses said...

That's awesome! I went to Africa a few years ago and there are so many women suffering. Good for you for doing something about it! If you need a volunteer for events close to home let me know and I'll help!

Gloria said...

Congratulations!!!!! what a worthy cause to help!
I am sure you will make a great Treasurer!! Enjoy!
@}~`}~~~ Gloria

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com